10.25.2009

Of Silence Pt. 2

"Listen to me," said the Demon,
as he put his hand upon my head.
"I'll tell you of a dreary region,
Where never had I Silence met.

"The river forever swift and cunning
Weaves and cuts between the stones
Glistening and sings continuously
Soft, dangerous songs and new unknowns.

"In tumult and convulsive strength
It's saffron sickly hue bares on
It flows onward to the sea at length
Yet palpitates as time is long.

"The sun gazes a red, ghastly stare
Rebuking the river's murmured prose,
And casting from its red eye a glare
That put the trees in fiery clothes

"Ah, the trees in giant counsel moan,
Their might have gained by unknown age,
Gently yet pow'rfully sway to and fro
Passing their secrets to neighboring sage.

"And from their summits, one by one,
Drop everlasting drops of dew
Being called down of Fate to become
Strange poisonous flowers at their roots.

"And the wind blew the clouds westward
Both with endless ways, arcanely deep,
And so I lay, being seen and heard,
Exposed to elements who where exposed to me.

"All at once the moon arose in crimson
Above the mist it quickly crept
I'll tell you of a dreary region,
Where never had I Silence met.

"And behold I saw on opposite shore
A great rock set since moments begun
Who had seen every sort of friend and foe,
And by virtue of presence was Deity's son.

"And on the rock I saw a shadowed man
Whose face was the only determined trait,
And I hid myself 'neath the shrubs and sand
As to observe the soul and know his state.

"His mind, lofty with thought, was made known
To me as I studied with what stature he stood.
On his cheeks I saw the fables of sorrow,
A disgust with mankind, in long solitude.

"His eyes where weary but steadfastly set,
His brow bones proved his spirit was sure,
The strong will from his expression was easily read,
Yet his child-like features began to quickly mature.

"For there on the rock beginning to form
Ancient symbols and lines I scarce can recite
As I peered and deciphered my spirit was torn,
DESOLATION was written by omniscient knives.

"At that same moment the river rose
Thrashing as its command was obeyed,
It threw angered white foamy throws
As it tossed its onslaught without restraint.

"The trees shrieked with mass terror,
The winds tore them hither in disdain
The clouds inhaled and breathed out thunder;
Sent lighting slashing through the haze.

"Sleet razor blades sent from heavens ghost,
Bore in precision on the now seated man,
His hands held his face, his body exposed,
He trembled as Judgment grew ever exact.

"And when the moon had come to take
It's climax atop the spiteful sky
The steadfast man was fully traced
And I became astonished by the sight.

"For naked and malnourished he sat,
Thin and sickly and of poor countenance,
A cripple! Born in the gutters as rats
I hardly believed he withstood the advance!

"And the winds fiercely fought for control
To gain an advantage on the now seated man,
His hands held his face, his body exposed,
He trembled as Judgment grew ever exact.

"But eyes of the man, as I had seen before,
Remained unmoved by circumstance.
Yea, but at this time he raised his voice
And called that mercy might come to past.

"And there on the rock beginning to form
Ancient symbols in heightened anger bled bright
As I peered and deciphered my spirit was torn,
For SILENCE was written by omniscient knives.

"And in almost in a noise of its own
Across the sky fled Silence's ghost,
He hushed the winds and laying hold,
Stiffened the trees, their secrets lost.

"The waters calmed, nay, died within
The sleet ceased and the sky warned,
When fell upon them Silence's grin,
So thunder and lighting no longer warred.

"A silence greater than that before time
Settled on every atom around the man,
And he sprang to his feet in great divide,
Turning his ear to heaven, feeling damned.

"Now here he cried out to the Divine
Such a weeping was never seen or heard,
But the earth, bound as Silence binds,
Replied not the slightest a whisper.

"And the man, who had for long endured
Fire and rain and in meekness prevailed,
Could not hold the depth Silence procured,
As it sank deeper than what is naturally felt.

"And the man rose and fled the sight,
Renting his clothes as he ran in vain,
Screaming wild things I shouldn't write,
I have never yet to see him again.

And the Demon fell back in his tomb
Laughing as he entered the musky cavity
But I could not laugh this time with him
And he cursed me for it, as I took my leave.

Inspired by Edgar Allen Poe's "Silence: A Fable"

No comments:

Post a Comment